Parents-to-be have various options for support during pregnancy, birth and the first months with a new baby.
If they wish to engage the services of a midwife, it’s important to look for an appropriate midwife as soon as the pregnancy has been confirmed, in order to find out if there is any capacity based on the baby’s due date. It’s also important at this early stage to be clear regarding choice of birth place so that the right type of midwife can be located.
According to the chosen birth place, there are different midwife categories:
- Home birth midwife
- A Beleghebamme (attending midwife) who comes with you to a particular hospital
- Freelance midwife in a birthing house
- Freelance midwife for antenatal and postnatal care
- Family midwife for longer-term care or care in special situations
For the birth itself, parents may wish to be accompanied by a Doula. A Doula is there to support parents-to-be shortly before, during and after the birth in all emotional questions and acts as an empathetic and trusted contact for you and your partner. Doulas accompany parents at births at home, in birthing houses and hospitals and should be contacted in early pregnancy.
A post-partum Doula is there to support you during the time after the birth but also already during pregnancy, above all with practicalities to do with mother, baby and household. With a caring nature and a listening ear, as well as relaxation techniques, a post-partum Doula, known as a “Mütterpflegerin” in German, should be contacted in the first half of pregnancy.
A home help or “Haushaltshilfe”, who supports parents or parents-to-be can be subsidised by your health insurance in special cases. In order to get this subsidy, a prescription from your doctor (usually your gynecologist) is necessary.
How can we help?
Search for the appropriate midwife
- Based on where you would like to give birth, your due date and on your personal criteria, we search for a home birth, freelance or attending midwife with free capacity
- We send you a checklist for your midwife search so that you can ask all the relevant questions and get a basis for the search for the perfect midwife for you
- We arrange appointments for you to get to know the midwives to further aid your decision
Search for a Doula
- We send you the contact details for three Doulas in your area
- We search for a Doula, who has free capacity according to your due date and the place you wish to give birth
- We arrange an appointment to get to know the Doulas we find, in order to further aid your decision
Search for a post-partum Doula (“Mütterpflegerin”)
- We send you the contact details for three post-partum Doulas working in your area
- We search for a post-partum Doula, who has free capacity according to your due date and the place you wish to give birth
- We arrange an appointment to get to know the post-partum Doulas we find, in order to further aid your decision
- We advise you regarding the possible subsidies from the health insurance for a post-partum Doula
We are happy to help you with all of your questions regarding pregnancy, birth and beyond!
[custom_button text=”contact us” title=”contact us” url=”http://www.maternita.de/en/contact” size=”large” bg_color=”#8e7617″ text_color=”#FFFFFF” align=”left” target=”_self”]